Published on September 15th, 2017 | from CAMH Education
CAMH Library: Canadian Initiatives for Suicide Prevention
Suicide Prevention Week runs Sept. 10–16, 2017. This year’s theme is “You Are Not Alone.” See below for select info on suicide prevention initiatives across Canada.
National Inuit Suicide Prevention Strategy
From Inuit Tapiriit Kanatam
- Discusses priority areas for reducing suicide in the Inuit population.
Access at https://www.itk.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/
Substance Use and Suicide Among Youth: Prevention and Intervention Strategies
From the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse
- Addresses emerging treatment strategies for youth with co-occurring substance use and suicidality.
Access at http://www.ccsa.ca/Resource%20Library/CCSA-Substance-Use-Suicide-Prevention-Youth-Summary-2016-en.pdf
From the Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Includes a webinar series, toolkits and online modules.
Access at https://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/English/focus-areas/suicide-prevention
Suicide Prevention in Toronto
From Toronto Public Health
- This report reviews the evidence on current, effective and promising suicide prevention and highlights suicide as an important public health problem in Toronto.
What are Effective Strategies for Preventing Suicide?
From the McMaster Health Forum
- This rapid review provides a summary of research on the effectiveness of suicide prevention strategies.
Access at https://www.mcmasterforum.org/docs/default-source/Product-Documents/rapid-responses/identifying-suicide-prevention-interventions.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Working Together to Prevent Suicide in Canada: the Federal Framework for Suicide Prevention
From the Government of Canada
- Discuses current suicide prevention efforts in Canada.
Access at https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/canada/public-health/migration/publications/healthy-living-vie-saine/framework-suicide-cadre-suicide/alt/framework-suicide-cadre-suicide-eng.pdf
The Workplace and Suicide Prevention|
From the Centre for Suicide Prevention
- This toolkit includes info on workplace warning signs and suicide prevention strategies at work.
Access at https://www.suicideinfo.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Workplace-Toolkit.pdf
Youth Suicide Prevention at School: A Resource for School Mental health Leadership Teams
From School Mental Health ASSIST
- This report discusses youth suicide prevention, including selecting and implementing programming.
Access at http://campusmentalhealth.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/SMHA-YouthSuicidePrevention-SchoolResource-English-forweb.pdf